Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A Mother's Intuition

When I was younger, I always heard people talking about intuition or a sixth sense and honestly I never believed a word of it. Of course since becoming a mother, I now understand exactly what they were talking about. I'm sure this is the case with most Moms but today was especially "weird." I can always tell when something is going on with Big Boy. Hubby laughs and always asks how I knew he was going to have a bad night or be cranky. I just know. I don't know how or why, I just do.

This morning started out like any other morning. By a little before 8am BB and I were in the car and heading to school. I dropped him and made my way back over the bridge but had a real uneasy feeling the whole time. I always stop home for about fifteen minutes after I drop him off. I eat a bowl of cereal, let the dog out and hop on Facebook for a few minutes. Before I logged off FB, I updated my status to "leaving for work but have a gut feeling I'll be getting a call from the school nurse." All morning at work I kept checking my cell phone and wouldn't you know it, at 12:30 my phone rang and it was the school nurse.

Big Boy was running and I guess he got ahead of himself because according to his teacher he tripped forward and fell into the door rather hard. The poor thing has a huge egg on his head and was crying for over twenty minutes. I just can't believe it happened. How on earth did my mind know something would go wrong with him today? Thankfully, he doesn't have a concussion but I took him to the Pediatrician just to be on the safe side. My goodness, it could have been so much worse.

These intuitions if you will, happen all the time with him. I don't know how to describe them. All of a sudden, I'll just get a feeling and know something isn't right or is about to happen. Obviously, I know I'm not a psychic or anything but I think it's really cool, kinda like he and I are connected on another level. I mean we are pretty much attached at the hip except for when I'm at work and he's at school.

Anyway, I would love it if my wonderful readers would share a few of their own "Mommy Intuition" stories with me. I guess what I'm saying is, having a child has turned me in to a believer when it comes to intuition, something I used to laugh at when I was younger. So...if you have something to share....PLEASE share it with me!

1 comment:

Tempest Mom said...

Reading your story sent chills down my arms and back!!! That is so amazing!

I can't say I have those "feelings" anymore, but I did when they were babies.. One time my daughter was maybe a year old and she was playing in the living room with her two older brothers. One of the brothers was playing with a broom stick and wedged it behind the TV and pulled.. pulling that huge beast down right on top of her.. I was standing in the kitchen and something just told me to look right at the exact moment where I was able to fly across the kitchen in time to stop that monster from falling right on her.. it would have crushed her ribs for sure.. or something worse. Instead it fell over on my thigh which was the fastest easiest way to stop it from landing on her. I never appreciated a bruise more in my life.. every time I looked at it, I'd smile.