Friday, November 6, 2009

So Very Cool!

I know this site has been around for quite some time but I'm only checking it out now so please excuse me for being a bit behind.  Anyway, I kept hearing people talk about the website Skype and how great it was to talk long distance (for free!) using your webcam.  I figured it had to be such a pain in the butt that it wouldn't be worth it but.....I was so very wrong.

I followed all the steps and installed Skype on my laptop and was impressed at how easy it was.  A friend of mine who also uses Skype called me via the webcam so we could try it out and it worked like a charm!  I just can't get over how cool and easy it is to use! I know it must sound like they have me on their payroll promoting the site but I'm truly impressed with it.  With that being said, I'm worried about running it with Vista.  I've learned even the simplest of programs can either freeze up or crash with Vista so fingers crossed this doesn't happen because I would be super bummed.

Now on to my plan!  I was thinking since my in-laws live in Florida and only see Big Boy but a few times a year, we could get them a webcam for Christmas and set up special times once or twice a week for them to "see" and talk to him.  I think it's a great idea but then again, I'm not sure if my in-laws will even be able to set up the account or the webcam.   I also think it will be fun For BB to be able to see his Nanny and Grandpa(my parents) through the computer.  Even though he sees them just about everyday, I think it would be a fun addition to his bedtime routine for him to say goodnight to them too.  I know they have a webcam, they just need to set it up and I'll be working on that tomorrow.

I'm wondering if the in-laws would think this is a good gift?  I think they will, right?  Anyway, this is my new project and let's all hope it all falls into place and goes smoothly...

No comments: